Fair AI Public License 1.0-SD
Published by the Freedom of Development Project.
This “SD variant” license contains a Prohibited Uses section designed to be compatible with Stable Diffusion’s license. Because of that section, this is not a free software license. Unless you are releasing a derivative of a Stable Diffusion model, it is not recommended that you use this license.
This license comes with special requirements if you intend to allow users to access this software over a network. See Notices for more information.
This license gives everyone as much permission to work with this software as possible, while protecting contributors from liability, protecting the freedom of end users, and reducing harm.
In this license, “model” refers to machine learning model weights, biases, parameters, optimizer states, and any byproducts of a training or pretraining process, whether in the form of checkpoints or any other form.
The term “derived model” refers to any model based on this model.
The term “software” also refers to any model along with documentation or other resources provided with the software.
The term “source code” refers to the preferred form of making modifications to software. It also includes any models, if applicable, but it does not include any datasets used to train a model.
To “modify” also means to perform any training on a model or to combine a model with another model.
In order to receive this license, you must agree to its rules. The rules of this license are both obligations under that agreement and conditions to your license. You must not do anything with this software that triggers a rule that you cannot or will not follow. If you do not agree, then you cannot use this software in any way.
Each contributor licenses you to do everything with this software that would otherwise infringe that contributor’s copyright in it.
Neither this software nor any work that is combined with this software will be considered a technological protection measure under the WIPO Copyright Treaty or any similar law. Reverse engineering of this software and of any work that is combined with this software is always allowed.
You must ensure that everyone who gets a copy of any part of this software from you, with or without changes, also gets the text of this license along with the corresponding source code.
If you modify this software and allow users to interact with it through a computer network, you must ensure they have a reasonable way to receive the corresponding source code from you, whether that is via a download link or a prominent written offer. As a special case, if you are only allowing users to interact with a derived model, then you may choose to provide a download link or written offer only for the derived model.
This software, all source code, and all modifications must be provided under this license or another license that allows everything this license allows. Note that this does not give you permission to change the license for this software.
If anyone notifies you in writing that you have not complied with Notices, you can keep your license by taking all practical steps to comply within 30 days after the notice. If you do not do so, your license ends immediately.
The output of this software is not covered by this license, and no contributor claims any rights to it.
Each contributor licenses you to do everything with this software that would otherwise infringe any patent claims they can license or become able to license.
No contributor can revoke this license.
You can also use any non-model parts of this software under the terms of the GNU AGPL 3.0, or any later version of that license. If you do, No Harm and No Liability still apply.
The Freedom of Development Project may publish revised or new versions of the Fair AI Public License. Those new versions will be similar in spirit to this license.
Unless a contributor specifies otherwise, you have the option of following the terms of any later version of this license. Your choice to follow a later version of the license will not impose additional obligations on any contributor. Even if you do choose to follow a later version, the restrictions of Prohibited Uses will still apply.
The provisions of No Harm and No Liability survive the end of your license.
You agree that no contributor’s conduct in the creation of this software has caused you any harm. As far as the law allows, you give up your right to pursue any kind of legal claim against any contributor for actions related the creation of this software, even if those actions broke a previous agreement.
Additionally, you agree not to use this model for harmful purposes, as listed in Prohibited Uses. These restrictions do not apply to non-model parts of this software.
As far as the law allows, this software comes as is, without any warranty or condition, and no contributor will be liable to anyone for any damages related to this software or this license, under any kind of legal claim.
You may not use this model or any derived model for the following:
- In any way that violates any applicable national, federal, state, local or international law or regulation;
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way;
- To generate or disseminate verifiably false information and/or content with the purpose of harming others;
- To generate or disseminate personal identifiable information that can be used to harm an individual;
- To defame, disparage or otherwise harass others;
- For fully automated decision making that adversely impacts an individual’s legal rights or otherwise creates or modifies a binding, enforceable obligation;
- For any use intended to or which has the effect of discriminating against or harming individuals or groups based on online or offline social behavior or known or predicted personal or personality characteristics;
- To exploit any of the vulnerabilities of a specific group of persons based on their age, social, physical or mental characteristics, in order to materially distort the behavior of a person pertaining to that group in a manner that causes or is likely to cause that person or another person physical or psychological harm;
- For any use intended to or which has the effect of discriminating against individuals or groups based on legally protected characteristics or categories;
- To provide medical advice and medical results interpretation;
- To generate or disseminate information for the purpose to be used for administration of justice, law enforcement, immigration or asylum processes, such as predicting an individual will commit fraud/crime commitment (e.g. by text profiling, drawing causal relationships between assertions made in documents, indiscriminate and arbitrarily-targeted use).